Monday, August 20, 2007

The Last Day

bison


Sunday was my final day of summer vacation. College has returned, bringing with it strange schedules, infuriating parking predicaments, and over-priced textbooks. Please, don’t misunderstand. I absolutely adore college. Being inside a classroom, abuzz with creativity and knowledge, makes me excited. Even though I may complain about small hassles, I assure you that come class time I will be brimming with glee.

sat perfectly still while I struggled to turn my camera on


To celebrate, Rob and I went on a few adventures. There are several parks in the state where I live. Each seems to be vibrant and equally beautiful. I suppose I was lucky to be born in such a lush environment. This realization aside, you know how most people feel about the geographical location in which they dwell. They usually dislike it, longing for another person’s lawn. I am no exception to this trend. While I realize that I live in beautiful surroundings, I can’t help but wonder what life in states like Arizona and Hawaii must be like. I can’t even imagine how captivating it would be to watch a desert sunset or wake up to the sounds of the ocean.

great fishing


While an ocean would be enthralling, I suppose vibrant fields of daisies and rolling hills will need to keep me satisfied. And, they do. For now.

found by accident


While we were visiting the different parks, Rob and I went in search of any wildlife that might be walking about. We did manage to capture several images. My favorite, by far, is the image of the bee on the purple flowers. It was exciting to take the photo because the bee sat so perfectly still.

the best bee in the world


I fumble with my camera quite frequently. I am definitely not a photographer. I do, however, greatly admire photography. Images always tell me stories. Reaching into a moment of time and freezing everything has great appeal. It is a permanent, visual scene from a story. It’s a chapter to one long novel.

not a clue what it is


My camera is a dinosaur. I’ve had it for five years now. The pictures don’t seem to come out as clear anymore. It doesn’t matter though. I still have memories that radiate all colors in absolute glory.

a fluttering beauty


While summer has been excellent, I think I’m ready to go back to school. I miss desks, projector screens, and computers. I miss books. I miss open discussions. I miss it all.

At least I know that just like summer vacations, there are still school years waiting.

4 comments:

Rolando said...

Going back to school was a pretty exciting time. I got to see friends again and just being away from home was nice.

You took some excellent pictures. Must be very nice out there.

Erina Hart said...

It is very nice here. It is not as beautiful right now though. We have been having heat emergencies lately. The grass has shriveled and turned hay-colored. Usually, this is not the case.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

I had to comment on your pictures. They are really fantastic!

Erina Hart said...

Speedcat Hollydale, thank you! You are very kind.