Thursday, September 13, 2007

I’m a Bit Overwhelmed…

“You cannot escape the responsibility
of tomorrow by evading it today.”
~Abraham Lincoln



And, I need to slow down. It seems that life has caught up with me, held tight to my shirt collar, stolen my milk money, and then shoved me into a musty, old locker. Now, I’m feeling a tad bit claustrophobic, and I have no clue how to open a sealed locker from the inside.

For those of you that don’t know, I am a college student that studies English Literature and Women’s Studies. I adore being an English major; however, when you choose a path that is so reading and writing intensive, you are bound to lose sleep. On average, I read three novels a week, several excerpts from various literary anthologies, and complete at least two written assignments. In other words, when my fellow bloggers can’t find me, I am sitting next to a reading lamp.

Blogging only adds to my reading queue. Do you see the twenty-nine blogs that I have listed in the sidebar? I read every single one of those blogs each week (and some that aren’t listed yet). I love those blogs. The writers are so creative and passionate. I can’t always comment on everything I read due to time constraints. Nevertheless, I do appreciate every post that is written.

I have begun to transfer Into the Inkpot to its own domain. I’ll be operating the blog on WordPress. The main frustration I am encountering is that I can’t seem to make up my mind about a new blog layout. I love the one that I have now. It has been this blog’s layout for less than a month. I just don’t want to say no to Mr. King Frog. He is just too terribly cute.

Writing blog entries is also sucking my sleep up like a famished tornado. I have actually been disappointed with myself lately. I feel as though I have not provided my readers with enough meaningful material. If my assumptions are correct, I apologize. Furthermore, I will rectify the problem as soon as time allows. I want all of you to find happiness in what you read.



I want you all to be happy. That is why I posted that poll last week. Seven of you responded, and I thank you all. At the end of the three days, the types of Into the Inkpot entries that you liked best were: Feminist Friday, Fiction, and Non-fiction. The three winners were closely followed by Ramblings and Fun Posts. Then, Recipes brought up the tail end of the results. I have taken these results into account, and I will structure my posts accordingly.

But, I also need to take into consideration what makes me happy. Sleep makes me happy, and I need a lot more of it. I have noticed dark circles under my brown eyes, and there are small creases highlighting the fact. I need to pass out for twenty-six days. I need to dream for more than three hours.

I also need to make sure that I am in top mental condition. As many of you know, my passion in life is to become an English Literature professor. I owe it to my future students to learn as much as possible now. College students pay money to learn. I won’t have them coming to my class unless I know that all of those hours they put in at the local McDonald’s drive-thru are paying off.

You may find this strange, but all of you remind me of my goal. Each day, at least a few of you post something new in your blogs. The simple fact that you are all writing makes me utterly joyful. One day, if I am lucky enough to acquire a professorship, I hope to be teaching a new generation of writers. I want my students to understand just how empowering and moving writing and reading can be. All of you exemplify the sort of students I hope to have. Each of you is filled with wonder and awe. You’re curious and you’re intelligent. You speak your minds, and none of you are afraid to wield a quill in the name of creativity and the joy of sharing words.

Furthermore, you all support one another. There is so much competition in life. So many people spend every waking moment of their days trying to become greater than their fellow man. They never stop to ponder the fact that status does not matter when the moist loam is surrounding their final bed. Like all things, each of us will soon fade. We will wilt like the blossom that no longer feels the feather-touch of a bee’s buzzing wings. We will perish like the dilapidated ruins of our own architectural structure.

But, while we are breathing, we can make a difference. All of you make strides to better yourselves and those around you. You are all valuable to your fellow bloggers and man.



I’m afraid that I will not be able to comment on blogs as much as I would like. It isn’t that I don’t want to. It is just the fact that I have so much on my plate. The china is cracking under the weight of so many tasks.

I will be reading your blogs. That will not change. And, as soon as Into the Inkpot is relocated to its new domain, I will be back to commenting many, many times. Until then, I hope that all of you understand why I must dwell in the shadows. Just remember that even if I seem to linger in the darkest of night, the radiance that your minds exude will surely give me enough light to read by.

I am forever your friend and fellow ally to the quill. I am still here. I will always be here.

12 comments:

Speedcat Hollydale said...

While burning the candle at both ends, remember to be good to yourself. I am tired just reading your post!
Most of my summers are frantically charged with 70 hour weeks and lot's of travel. Fall brings more of a mellow time-line.

God Bless!!

Rolando said...

It's funny that you posted this topic because I had it in my mind this morning.

How does everyone find the time to blog, comment, manage their site(s), and have a life.

In your case you also have school and all the tasks that are required to succeed.

I noticed you have been lurking lately, but I know you've been busy with school and with setting up your new domain with WordPress.

But you shouldn't fret, we'll be here, your loyal readers. Even if you didn't explain what is on your plate, I am sure we would have understood and would have patiently stood by the wayside.

We would still recognize you for your past work and always honor you for your friendship.

I know about lack of sleep, it's not fun and it impacts focus, production, energy levels, etc. We wouldn't want you slumped over on some park bench or ice cream cone stand. It's not safe.

I'm not sure how you did it to begin with. Blogging takes a lot of time and energy. I'm beginning to question my own time online. But it's hard to get away because like you, I feel a responsibility to our readers.

Unfortunately sleep is the first to get sacrificed.

But you can only do so much within a day, a week, this lifetime. We look forward to whatever topic you write about, even if it's about eggplants and parenting.

So, take your time and do what you have to do. I for one, will be here. If you need any help with the WordPress stuff let me know. I've seen some dark themes similar to this so Mr. King Frog will have a home.

Rolando

Lisa R Charles said...

Thank God for Thursday's. Erina, it's my day off from the internet, totally.
Ok, tonight I have made an exception only b/c we got the kids to bed early and I had some extra time.

I understand and you have to do what is best for you.

I'll be here!

Joanne said...

Oh, Erina! You do have a lot on your plate (I've been moving really slowly over to my wordpress in order to all other priorities take precendence). Sleep is important, but it's also really important that you're happy (and not stressed from being stretched too thin)...it's a lot harder to create those posts when one is tired, stressed, and/or unhappy.

I am ridiculously happy to read this post because your writing just gives me joy like that. Take your time, I'll be here!

Good luck!

Unknown said...

Don't worry Erina; we'll still be here no matter when you blog. School is way more important right now.
Oh...and your blogs make me happy...just wanted to let you know that.

mikkers said...

i deeply sympathize with you and your time constraints. Even though I have just begun to read your blog and have just scratched the surface of who you are, I truly feel that we a lot of things in common.

Like blogging taking over our sleep schedule and the pressures of college and graduation dreams eroding on the firmament of blog-land. as a communication major, and political science & sociology minor, my homework consists of endless essays and situational analysis research. i am glued to my computer 24/7 and always collapse into bed (sometimes without even brushing my teeth...my bad!) so I really admire your dedication to your work, your blog, and your readers.

i hope we can draw strength from each other! I tried to take a hiatus away from my blog for a bit to recoup a bit of energy for later, but I just couldn't stay away for too long.

Thank you for writing! You are thoughtful and inspirational to me.

Anonymous said...

"the radiance that your minds exude will surely give me enough light to read by."

Since my blog is listed, all I can say is, "Dude, you read by the radiance of my 10 watt brain?? You know that'll damage your eyes, right?"

I feel your pain with the reading and lack of time. Just remember that friends don't mind waiting and would much rather you be late, than not be there at all.

Super good luck with the classes. I was SO thrilled to be done University! God bless you for pushing through on your goals!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Erina,I do agree,when a creative activity feels like a chore already instead of a joy and it just becomes overwhelming to the mind and body,it's important to stop or slow down and take a breather. Take your time, we'll just be here:)

Anonymous said...

I guess, the reading light must be proud, to have the honour to shine for you :-)
Like the reading light, I feel so proud to be listed in your sidebar, in Erina Hart's sidebar.

And I would like to thank you for reading my posts even though you've so much to read, thank you very much.
Now, I guess, Mr. King Frog is the luckiest one as he sits right at the top, and Erina just said that "he is just too terribly cute!"

I find happiness in your blog, that flows out from you, you're my inspiration, you've encouraged me with your words.

You've taken the poll result to "structure your posts accordingly", you really appreciate your readers, to make your readers happy, but like you said, you must take care of your health, and your passion to become an English Literature professor.

Your true friends will always be back here to support you, you don't have to worry much.
Sometimes, reading your blog, your comments and your messages,
I felt like a student of yours :-)

Cyberpenguin said...

I wholeheartedly agree with Rolando on this one. I think many of these topic are on many, if not most, writers'/bloggers' minds! I know I often feel overwhelmed by the number of things I have to accomplish in a day, or the mere influx of information that I'm expected to process on a daily or weekly basis. It's not humanly possible to do everything or be everywhere at once. ;-) The best we can do is to take it one step at a time!

I think that we bloggers, of all people, understand that it takes time to blog, comment, manage sites & email correspondence, voice mail, etc., & still have a life!

I wish you the best with your efforts to slow down & reach your larger, life goals.

Sincerely,
-C

P.S. Please don't feel any pressure to respond to my comments; it looks like you're busy enough! 8-)

jon said...

I am such a selfish bastard. The only thing I can think about at the moment is how this will impact me, as you are one of my favorite people, ever (See my october post! :P)

But I am going to TRY to think past myself for once, and say, ok. Take your break and then get your chooch right back over here cause it just so happens that the people I enjoy reading the most are, like me, ready to take a huge step back. I want to shut down shop, but if I do that, then how are we all going to stay in touch?

email me from my contact me page. :P

love you, jon

Samsunda cilingir said...

Siteniz cok guzel basarilarinizin devamini bekleriz admin tanks